Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Artist Spotlight: Ann Kraft Walker

Ann Kraft Walker of The Woodlands, Texas, is this month's Spotlight Artist. If you would like to be in the spotlight, please email Anna at annarosebain@gmail.com to submit your information. 

Interview with Spotlight Artist for September/October, Annie Walker:

Artist Ann Kraft Walker

1) When and how did you first become seriously interested in Art? I started playing around with paints in the late 90s. I was interested in folk art for years...( ugh! ) and had no training at all.  I attended the PSoA conference for the first time seven years ago and that began to open my eyes to real art ( instead of folk art ). I was off to a very slow start, as we were raising three children. Art stayed on the back burner until five years ago when our youngest left for college.

2) What is your training, and what medium(s) / subject matter do you work in? I paint in oil, as well as drawing with charcoal.  So far I focus on portraits and still life, but would like to add landscape to the mix soon I hope. I have taken workshops from Clayton Beck, Casey Baugh, and Rob Liberace.

3) What do you try to express in your work? I try to express sensitivity to beauty in my work. 

4) What artists/professionals have been your biggest influences? Casey Baugh has been the biggest influence so far.

"Psalm 149:3" by Ann Kraft Walker
5) What do you do to gain new inspiration for your work?  For inspiration, the most important thing I do is pray!!  As well as LOTS of museum visits and lots of art books!

6) What would you like to be doing with your art ten years from now? Ten years from now I hope to still be painting as much as I can, enjoying the never ending pursuit of learning to paint.

7) Do you set goals for yourself concerning the making of your art?  I don't think I consciously set goals, it's more like I have lists and lists of ideas for paintings I'm dying to do. I wish I didn't have to sleep!

8) Are you happy with your job choice as an artist?  I am so ecstatically happy being an artist!!! Wow, what a BLESSING!!! Sometimes I wish I had started much earlier, and had serious art education, but, I don't regret the years that my number one job and joy was just being a mommy!!

9) Any fun or interesting facts about yourself that you'd like to share? Living in Northern Germany for almost three years in the early 90s was the greatest opportunity for extensive travel and exposure to the great museums.

10) Best piece of advice for other artists?  ...the process is the real joy!!!

Biography:

I was Texas born in 1955.  In 1977 I received a BFA in Art History at The University of Texas at Austin (a major I could accomplish without any math requirements). Later I moved to Germany for several years which provided the opportunity for extensive travel and many museum visits where my love for art deepened.  At The Hermitage in St. Petersburg, I distinctly remember the desire to learn to paint washing over me.  However, I was busy raising three children and did not take up a paintbrush until my mid-forties.  What a privilege to begin the never ending pursuit of learning to paint.  Any shred of talent I possess is a gift from God and a reflection of His grace.

I am a member of The Portrait Society of America, Oil Painters of America, The International Guild of Realism and American Women Artists. 

Awards and Exhibitions:
"Kate" by Ann Kraft Walker

  • 2012 Featured in Galeria Artelibre
  • 2012 International Artist Magazine, Challenge No. 72 - Finalist
  • 2012 Southwest Art Magazine Artistic Excellence Competition - Finalist
  • 2012 Drawing featured in Strokes of Genius 42012 Exhibited - International Guild of Realism 7th Annual International Juried Exhibition
  • 2012 Exhibited - 27th Annual Bosque Art Classic
  • 2012 Oil Painters of America Summer Online Showcase - First Place
  • 2012  The Artist Magazine, 29th Annual Art Competition - Finalist - ( Two Paintings )
  • 2012 Exhibited - Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibit
  • 2012 Exhibited - The Salon International, Greenhouse Gallery
  • 2012 Raymar Art's 6th Annual Competition, January - Finalist
  • 2012 BoldBrush FAV 15% : February, March, May, June, July
  • 2012 Exhibited - CSOPA  Faces Of Winter
  • 2012 Exhibited - Scottsdale Artist School Best and Brightest
  • 2011 American China Oil Painters Artist League - Exhibition of Contemporary American and Chinese Realism.- Finalist
  • 2011 Richeson 75 Small Works  - Finalist
  • 2011 Richeson 75 Animals Birds and Wildlife - Finalist
  • 2011 Richeson 75 Portrait and Figure - Finalist
  • 2011 Southwest Art Magazine, Artistic Excellence Competition - Finalist
  • 2011 The Artist Magazine, 28th Annual Art Competition,- Finalist
  • 2011 Intenational Artist Magazine, Challenge No.64 - Finalist
  • 2011 BoldBrush FAV 15% : June, July, October, December,
  • 2010 Lone Start Art Guild Show - Best of Show, Mayor's Choice, First Place, Second Place
  • 2010 Woodlands Art League Spring Show - Best of Show
  • 2010 Woodlands Art League Fall Show - Best of Show
  • 2009 Woodlands Art League Spring Show - Best of Show
  • 2009 Woodlands Art League Fall Show - Best of Show, First Place, Third Place


"But Now I See" by Ann Kraft Walker

"Cooper Mack" by Ann Kraft Walker

"John Lightfoot" by Ann Kraft Walker

"Cinderella" by Ann Kraft Walker

"The Visitor" by Ann Kraft Walker

"Undaunted" by Ann Kraft Walker
Contact Info:
Ann Kraft Walker
Website: AnnKraftWalker.com (coming soon!)
Email: AnnKraftWalker@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment